Wednesday, September 20, 2006

a small thought.

Hello. Posted by Picasa

I have been asked more than once why I dedicate my corner of the blogosphere to my boys. "Why, with a web address like American Airspace, aren't you using it for something "important" like politics, war talk, television commentary or even airplanes... Why a mommy blog?" The answer is short and long.
I love them, that's the short bit.
The longer answer, well, its about who I am and who I want to be and how I see the world around me.

What do you see in this photo? Do you see a blond child peering through a fence at a brown horse? Or do you see what I see? A moment of grace and innocence, when a small boy learns about the beauty of the world around him? An innocent greeting without fear?

I enjoy sharing our lives with family and friends. I enjoy meeting new blog friends and drawing them into our lives. We aren't "family values" people... That's a bunch of crap anyways (I wonder who was the first jackass who said "I believe in family values" and really meant "I am a homophobic bastard"? That jerk ruined what family values are really about) We believe real values are about sharing our toys with grace, even when its hard... Admitting to mistakes we make, not the mistakes of others... Snuggles and hugs are more important than tidiness... Neatness counts, but only for part of the grade... Water is good for the soul... Dogs, cats, and horses are family members and must be treated with respect...If you love someone, who cares what race religion sex creed class (or other thing society frowns on), love them...

This stuff is important. These two boys are more important to my life, my home, and my community than one more blog condemning or condoning the war, more important than one more bush supporter or basher's ramblings; more important than one more hack review of last nights episode of family guy. So that's why... Because if the whole world thought that love and sharing and hugs and petting the dog were the most important things, we wouldn't need 50 million web sites and blogs dedicated to killing our fellow man.

SO, I am going to go now, and sit upon my neighbors porch, and let our small sons explore the world together, and we will talk about the cool wind bringing in autumn, and how the potty chair usage was yesterday. We will scratch the dog behind the ear on occasion, as he keeps a watchful eye on the children. We might have a cup of coffee. We will teach our boys to share toys with one another without grabbing or pushing or crying. Perhaps our sons will teach that to the world one day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear! Hear!

:) That was a marvelous impassioned explanation. Those are lucky boys.

kenju said...

AMEN! You are doing the very important work of raising children, who will be ethical, responsible, gentle men when they are older, due to your ministrations now. Don't let anyone tell you that your blog or your work is not as important as others!!!

Michele sent me, and I am glad!

Hasan Mubarak said...

truly a mommy's feelings!

Anonymous said...

I see two beautiful life forms greeting each other spirit to spirt.
Here from Michele.

♥Caroline♥ said...

I give you a big AMEN! And leave it like that.

The Complimenting Commenter said...

Those are some perfect reasons and a great explanation. I hope that people respect them. Also, I just want to wish a happy birthday for today! Hope the day goes perfectly.

Anonymous said...

/applaud
Nothin' more to say.

Mel